The crazy week is over and we managed to end up with a good weather window after all to finish up our aerification. The mixed tine application was a success. We were surprised by the amount of material we removed from the greens. We had the machines set on a 2x2 spacing which put quite a few hole in the greens. It took an extra topdressing to finish filling the holes and Mike calculated that he used 150 yards of sand for the entire job. Overall the greens look and play very well.
As I was changing the cups on Saturday there was a significant difference in the amount of pressure it took to push the cup cutter into the ground. It was much easier than normal. The plugs were loose and roots were about as long as I have seen them in the fall before and that normal hard pan zone that we typically feel around the 3 to 4 inch depth wasn't there. Perhaps it was the alternating tine length that did it, At least that is what we would like to believe. The 1/2 inch tines were getting down a good 3 inches and the 3/8 inch tines were down around 1.25 inches. I think we truly prepared the greens for this fall by enabling the new roots to penetrate through the pan layer. Next week we will be applying a super fine grade of granular organic fertilizer called Nature Safe 8-3-5. I really think it benefits the soil microbes and promotes much stronger roots.